For the A is for Applique challenge in May the title was “Happiness is…”
(picture taken by Lucie)
..i started with a little sketch..”My happiness is…a day at the seaside”
..a puddle of water..a puddle of pain ..i add paint to my water puddle because i can control how intense i want the colour
..a sponge (a kitchen sponge cut up is ideal and pennies not pounds)
I applied the paint to my calico background , dabbing in a circular motion
..this would be my sky
a quick blast with the hair dryer..
..normally i am a fly by the seat of my paintbrush type of girl but i have been listening and learning√ and i pinned√ and tacked√ my ocean and sand to the calico
..i have Lucie to thank for the sand as she gave me this fabric for another project i am working on..the ocean i had from a bag project i made 2 years ago (using up what’s in the stash √)..i feel proud of myself i have ticked a few of my “to do’s”
i used a zig zag stitch to attach fabrics to calico…oooo those tacking stitches helped!
..i have a very basic sewing machine but i have learned that these machines can be ( with help from very helpful,patient and knowledgeable sewing friends xx) like worker ants..i feed fabric,paint,paper,card,metal (i know i know,but i did change the needle after!!)
I am in awe of the machines i see experienced sewers use and maybe one day i might graduate…but in the meantime its me and my machine just moving along “side by side”(at this point i am swaying and singing in my seat)
…ahhh one of my favorite sewing feet…its like “Happy Feet ” the movie it just keeps tapping along. I will confess i buckled my first free motion foot by not attaching it right..it was more of a hammer drill sound than a tap!!!
Note…it does pay to have a very helpful friend who quietly points things out
and doesn’t laugh at my mistakes
..with variegated thread and circles…i had some pebbles on my beach
..i cut out my beach hut
a roof and door
trimmed the edges
..attached a little sail and water coloured the boat
i painted the fence straight onto the calico with white acrylic paint
..i stamped the seagull ( i got this idea from Margaret who had one in her journal..thank you , it looks cute)
I then wanted to turn my April and May blocks into my first page for the Fabric journal (thats what i am going to use my challenge blocks for)
With extra tuition on binding
i can reveal my page
I am really enjoying this challenge and can’t encourage you enough to have a go..i will give you an update on my progress for June’s challenge “Birds and Bees” as soon as i get the pictures loaded..